The history of the New York Orthopaedic Hospital is a story of scientific and clinical progres, generosity in the care of needy patients, and collaboration among prestigious intsitutions dedicated to promoting the highest stadard of excellence in orthopedic health and professional education.
At the time of the institution's founding, orthopedic surgery was a nascent specialty. Dr. Charles Fayette Taylor, along with benefactors Theodore Roosevelt, Sr., Howard Potter, James M. Brown, and John Aspinwall, as well as other Trustees, established the New York Orthopaedic Dispensary in 1866. Initially founded as a charitable organization "for the purpose of furnishing treatment to the poor, with special reference to diseases and deformities of the bones and joints requiring surgical and mechanical treatment, and for giving instruction in the same," NYOH would elvolve, buy always remain focused on clinical and academic excellence in service to its patients.
Over the next 150 years, ten Surgeons-in-Chief would direct the New York Orthopaedic Hospital, now the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center. Their leadership, alongside the groundbreaking contributions of numerous orthopedic luminarious, would help carry on the core missions of the instutution: patient care, reasearch, and education.
Click on the historical eras below to learn more about some of the major achievelments and contributions to the field of orthopedic surgery made by NYOH/Columbia Orthopedics over the past 150 years: