Expert Care. Personalized Approach.

Celebrating 150 Years of Excellence

 
Home | 1866-1899 | 1899-1940 | 1940-1976 | 1976-2016


 

"This dispensary is organized for the purpose of furnishing treatment to the poor ... with special reference to the Diseases and Deformities of the Spine and Hip-joint and other of the more serious diseases of the bones and joints requiring surgical and mechanical treatment, and for giving instruction in the same."

New York Orthopaedic Dispensary Annual Report, 1869
 

Milestones   
 1859 Dr. Charles Fayette Taylor treats Anna Roosevelnt, sister of future president Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., for a spinal disease and gains an important financial sponsor - Theodore Roosevelt, Sr.
 1866 Founding of the New York Orthopaedic Dispensary (NYOD) at 1299 Broadway, to treat poor children for diseases of the spine and hip. Volume grows from 474 patient visits in 1866 to 1,800 in 1869
 1873 In response to growing number of patients, NYOD moves to a location at 126 East 59th Street with new facilities, expanded services, and dedicated hospital beds
 1875 NYOD renamed as New York Orthopaedic Dispensary and Hospital, reflecting its expanded mission and addition of inpatient wards
 1876 Dr. Newton Shaffer becomes Surgeon-in-Chief and continues Dr. Taylor's tradition of conservative, mechanical treatment
 1884 Dr. Shaffer becomes co-founder of the New York Orthopaedic Society, the first recorded orthopaedic society in the US
 1887 Dr. Virgin P. Gibney and Dr. Shaffer help established the American Orthopaedic Association 
 1896 A Modern operating room is built in a converted patient ward with funds donated by J.P. Morgan 

 

 

 

 

  • Patient Information & Education
  • Centers of Research & Resources
  • Fellows& Residents
  • From the chairman
  • NYP
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Columbia University Medical Center